Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Talent, Passion and Courage

It never ceases to amaze me how many people out there in the business world and on the internet LOVE to talk about themselves...about how great they are, how wonderful they sound, how much money they've made, how much they know, how the sound of their own voice brings people (including themselves) to their knees and standing on their feet with rounds of applause. But you know what...these people do nothing for me. As a matter of fact, ithey turn me off! I just sit and shake my head and wonder what in the world they did that makes them talk about themselves so much....It's the "All About Me" show!

Having said that, I want to say this... I had an experience of a voice today that truly brought me to my knees and to tears (And I can assure you it wasn't my own). I sat and watched and listened to this incredibly amazing voice sung by a mobile phone salesman with a humble spirit from the UK...a man named Paul Potts, who came onto the stage of the recent Britain's Got Talent with a frumpy look, a chipped tooth, a coat that looked like it did not fit quite right and a very low dose of self confidence. As a matter of fact, he was sweating and looked scared to death. When he told judges Simon Cowell, Amanda Holden and Piers Morgan he an opera singer, they started rolling their eyes and gave this poor guy "the look"...you know "the look" that told me they were ready for a total bomb (or gong). But what happened next was incredible. Paul Potts began to sing Nessun Dorma (not easy in the least), and slowly but surely, the judges and the crowd began to shift...from smiles to tears to a standing ovation...people cheering, clamoring, screaming and begging for more. The hair on my arms was bristling as I watched this display. I had goosebumps from head to toe.

As I began to dig deeper into this story, I learned that Paul Potts was bullied his entire life. He felt worthless and hopeless, and he used his voice and singing opera as a way to escape and to find some meaning in his very fear-filled life. A friend encouraged him to enter the talent show, and against his own low self esteem, he agreed, and I am sure that you know the end of the story...he won the competition. I encourage you today to watch these videos.

This story is so inspiring. I had to share it with you. It reminds me that being courageous, unpretentious and support from another person can go a very long way in life. Don't ever let anyone hold you back from success and what you want to do...and once you get there...remember your roots. Pott's humble spirit is what truly sealed this deal. Enjoy!

Paul Pott's Audition Tape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

Paul Pott's Semi-Finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDB9zwlXrB8

Paul Pott's Finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDB9zwlXrB8

(If you cannot link above, simply go to http://YouTube.com and type in Paul Potts)

I would love to hear your stories of courage and passion. Please comment on this thread on my blog today!

http://www.fivestarleader.com/fivestarleaderblog/

Bea Fields Companies

175 Rountree Lane
Southern Pines, NC
28387
US

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home