Sunday, November 18, 2007

MOTIVATIONAL QUOTES

"Pleasant words are as honeycomb, sweet to the mind and healing to the
body."
- Proverbs 16:24
"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy: They are the charming
gardens who make our souls blossom."
- Marcel Proust

"You get into trouble and make mistakes when you take your mind off
your goals."
- Joel Osteen

"Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own
sunshine."
- Anthony J. D'Angelo

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
FEATURE ARTICLE = "7 EASY - & DELIGHTFUL - WAYS TO GIVE THANKS"

Thanksgiving is almost here in the U.S. [Note: Our Canadian clients
and friends celebrated Thanksgiving in October]. This raises the
question = How can you give thanks to people who made your life better and
brighter.
Here are seven tips to give thanks now.

1st TIP = GIVE 3 COMPLIMENTS/DAY

Research resulting in my first book -- HOW WINNERS DO IT: High Impact
People Skills for Your Success -- included me "shadowing"
high-achievers and underachievers to see how they act at work.

Here is one major difference: High-achievers pay an average of three
sincere compliments each day. In contrast, underachievers typically give
no compliments. Giving compliments is easy, takes mere seconds, and
leaves you feeling good. Since "what goes around comes around," when
you compliment someone, both career and personal goodies may come back in
return.

Suggestion = Give 3 compliments each day at work plus 3 compliments in
your person life.

2nd TIP = SEND HANDWRITTEN "THANK YOU" NOTES

I printed postcards with my photo and list of books and tests I
authored (plus my appearance on "Oprah") on one side. When someone does
something great, I jot a "Thank You" note on my postcard, and mail it to the
person. Recipients often tell me mine is the only "Thank You" note
they ever received, and they cherish it.
Suggestion = Send brief, handwritten "Thank You" notes to people who
earned it.

3rd TIP = CALL A PERSON WHO HELPED YOU

Question: How do you feel when someone calls, and says you wonderfully
helped them? Answer: Fantastic!

Suggestion = Thanksgiving is a perfect time to phone people who helped
you during the last year. Tell them.
4th TIP = SEND A GIFT

When someone does something delightful for me, I often mail one of my
books or audio-books to the person. For example, when a person sends a
"testimonial" letter complimenting my speeches or our Forecasterâ„¢
Tests, I autograph a book I authored, and mail it as a gift.

Question = Who deserves a "Thank You" gift from you?
5th TIP = SAY "I LOVE YOU"
Family members love hearing you love them. But, many people seldom
say, "I love you." Thanksgiving is a good time to start.

Beware: Some people loosely tell a lot of people "I love you,"
although they really mean they "like" them. Avoid watering down the word
"love" by using it with people you "like" a lot. Family members feel hurt
if you say "I love you" to them, and then you say the same to someone
whom you do not actually "love."
[Warning: Saying "I love you" to a co-worker is a CLM - Career
Limiting Move, so do not even fantasize about saying it at work!]

Suggestion = Make sure you say "I love you" to family members at
Thanksgiving celebrations.

6th TIP = MAIL ARTICLES OF INTEREST

As I read periodicals, I search for articles that will help people I
know. Then, I mail article with a note saying exactly what I was
thinking, "As soon as I saw this article, I immediately thought of you." This
is a type of "Thank You" gesture. People benefit from the articles I
send, and it feels good to mail the articles.
Some people are so special to me that I keep envelopes with their names
on them. I continually deposit articles into each special person's
envelope. When I fill-up a person's envelope, I mail it. Then, I start
a new envelope for that special person.

Suggestion = When you read publications, clip and mail articles to
people you want to help.

7th TIP = DO UNNECESSARY ACTS OF KINDNESS

These can be small acts of kindness. If you are in a check-out line
with a lot of items, and someone gets in line behind you with only a few
items, let them get in front of you. If you get to a door a few steps
before someone else, hold the door open for that person.

Sometimes acts of kindness take remarkable twists. For example, one
day, while driving, I saw a frail, elderly lady at a busy street corner
looking at cars zooming by. I figured she was having trouble crossing
the street. So, parked my car, walked to her, and let her hold my arm
as I stopped traffic and helped her slowly cross the street.

When we got to the other side, I asked if she needed any more help.
She sweetly smiled, and said to me, "Actually, I didn't want to cross the
street." So, I asked her, "For what reason did you let me help you
cross the street?" Tears welled up in her eyes as she explained, "The
fact that you went out of your way to help me was the nicest thing anyone
has done for me in a long time. And I didn't want to detract from
your goodness." [Note: I helped her back across the street!]

Suggestion = Do one or more totally "Unnecessary Acts of Kindness"
daily.
Thanksgiving is a delightful time to give thanks. You can use these
seven tips to give thanks at Thanksgiving - and throughout your year.

Dr. Mary & I wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home